Just like me, did you also believe that ethnicity and race are the same thing?
Well they are not! Where race is identified by physical characteristics such as skin, hair, color, etc. Ethnicity is more about cultural factors such as origin, language, etc. Both of them are quite different from each other. And these days, people are more interested in knowing about the ethnicity of the migrated person, rather than his/her race.
So here I am going to help you identify that ethnicity for your colleague by using some ethnicity tag questions. These ethnic tag questions will help you in identifying various ethnic groups. They can even be fun and interesting. And you can play them with your friends to have some fun, while at the same time know more about where they belong to.
Now let’s get started with interesting ethnicity tag questions and know a bit more about your friends. BUT be cautious that you take this in a fun way, and not get involved in any ethnicity or racial issues.
Ethnicity Tag Questions
About the country:
- What is your ethnicity and your country?
- Which part of that country do you belong to?
- When did you last visit your country?
- How often do you wish to visit your country?
- Which part of your country is your most favorite?
- What do you love about your country the most?
- What do you hate about your country the most?
- Is there any song that can remind you of your country?
- What weather in your home place you love the most?
- What is the most popular profession of the people of your country?
- Which food item can be called the symbol of your country?
- Which spice do you think represents your country?
- What is the popular dress style of your country?
- Which places in your country projects your ancestors’ past? Or, what are the historical places in your country?
- Which age is legal in your country to get married?
- What age is legal to enjoy all the benefits?
- Are people of your country hospitable to foreigners?
- Is the political condition in your country stable?
- What kind of government do you have in your country?
- Which product of your country is exported the most?
- From where do you import maximum of the products in your country?
- Which product of your own country do you use the most?
About the culture:
- How does a marriage happens in your tradition?
- How many events are there in a normal wedding function in your culture?
- Is love marriage encouraged in your culture?
- How do you greet someone in your ethnicity?
- What kind of food do you have in your culture?
- Which food item from your culture you enjoy the most?
- When there is any special festive occasion, what kind of foods are normally made?
- Is there any spice that reminds you of your culture or your people?
- What are the popular festivals of your ethnicity?
- What kind of fasts does your family keep in your ethnicity?
- Do you keep any of those fasts?
- What are the oldest traditions that are still carried out in your culture?
- Which household item is common in your culture, and best represents it?
- Which song represents your ethnicity well?
- What languages are usually spoken in your ethnicity?
- What all languages can you speak from that list?
- Which is your regional language?
- Is there any phrase that you speak most commonly in your ethnic language?
- Which items do you believe are only found in your ethnicity?
- What kind of jewelry do people of your ethnicity wear?
- What type of clothes do you wear in your ethnicity?
- Which hairstyles are more common in your ethnicity?
- What kind of drinks are common in your ethnicity?
- When there are guests at your home, which drink you offer first?
- Which sports are primary for your ethnicity?
- Given a chance, what would you change about your ethnic culture?
- What would you like to carry forward from your ethnic culture?
- Do you people live in joint families or separate, in your culture?
- Do people in your culture adapt to technology easily?
- Are girls allowed to get higher degrees of education in your culture?
- Which colors in your tradition are known to be good or bad while attending a celebratory event?
- How do you dress while attending any funeral?
- Who is the head decision maker in your culture?
- How coming of a new baby is celebrated in your tradition?
- What is the usual time period in your tradition after which a baby arrives in a marriage?
There can be multiple versions of the same questions. But at the end, the result is the same. You get to know more about the ethnic group of the concerned person.
How to play?
This game can be played in 2 ways.
One, you can carry out one on one discussion with your friend or the new migrant in your college or school. This might shed inhibitions from the mind of a new person and he/she will tell you the answers openly. Also, you get to ask more in depth questions in person rather than in a group.
Two, you can play this in a truth or dare format, or never have I haver format. Sit with your group forming a circle and use a bottle to spin. On whichever person the bottle points, he has to answer one of the ethnicity tag questions which any of you pose him. Or you can write down each of the questions on a separate paper and fold it and put it in a bowl. The person whom the bottle points will have to pick the paper and answer the question.
In case of never have I ever format, 1 person will ask question and everyone will answer that one by one. You can bring more entertainment in this by alternating ethnicity tag questions with some dare questions.
Overall, you all would have a lot of fun alongside getting to know more about each other. Again, remember to take this in a light and entertaining manner. Never make fun of the person’s ethnic group, even if you are planning to rag him for new admission.